Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Bikes Of 2023: The Salsa Cycles Blackborow DS

It's another December here on the blog. You know what that means? Yep! Another round of my bikes I used in 2023. This round-up will not include some of the bikes I did not use this year much, or at all. I focus only on the bikes that played a big role in my riding during this year.  

As always, any changes or future plans for any bike I feature will also be detailed. I hope that you enjoy this year's round-up. 

The Blackborow DS from last January.

This is my fat bike that originally was intended for commutes back and forth all Winter to the old bicycle shop I used to work at. I had become tired of replacing drive train bits on various commuter bikes I had been using due to the chemical stew that is part and pacel of Winter riding in the snow on city streets. That stuff eats metal like crazy. This Blackborow DS, with its "two-speed" single speed drive train, or "dinglespeed" as it is known as, was all made from stainless steel and rust-resistant parts. Perfect for that commute.

However; now I have an even better option with my Ti Muk 2, and so this bike has become my "extreme Winter" bike which only sees use anymore during those times when the conditions demand ultimate flotation. 

Essentially,this bike is pretty stock with only two major upgrades since I purchased it about ten years ago. That's saying a LOT for me, because usually there is nothing left stock on a bike if it's been around here that long except the frame! I have a carbon Jones H Bar for a handle bar here and over the past year, at some point, I put on a Thompson post with a WTB Volt saddle.

New to this bike soon will be a set of proper pogies. I got my Ti Muk 2 back in 2018, when a bunch of you blog readers, acquaintances, and good friends bought me most of that bike from its former owner, Sam. Well, when I went to pick it up, Sam threw in a set of super-rare Revelate pogies custom made for Jones H Bars. I set those aside when I got home, because it was Summertime, and promptly forgot all about them. 

Whilst digging through some of my squirreled away stuff looking for something else entirely I came across them. So, now they will go on there and probably won't be coming off, since I rarely, if ever, will ride this bike in any other weather but Winter snow and cold.

1 comment:

Nooge said...

I love my pogies. It’s one of those things that a person can’t appreciate how much warmer they will make you until you experience it.