Thursday, December 21, 2023

Bikes Of 2023: Pofahl Signature Custom Single Speed

 It's another December here on the blog. You know what that means? Yep! Another round of my bikes I used in 2023. This round-up will not include some of the bikes I did not use this year much, or at all. I focus only on the bikes that played a big role in my riding during this year.  

As always, any changes or future plans for any bike I feature will also be detailed. I hope that you enjoy this year's round-up. Note; Throughout December there will be a lot of double-post days. Scroll back to make sure you haven't missed anything!

The Pofahl Signature Custom Single Speed from earlier in 2023

This is one of my favorite bicycles I own. I designed the frame in the early 2000's and it ended up becoming a bicycle through the help of Benn Witt of Heath Creek Cycles in Northfield, Minnesota. He put me in touch with Mike Pofahl, a long-time Minnesotan and custom frame builder, who brazed this together for me back in 2007. 

It was a take on a Karate Monkey geometry with much longer chain stays. I didn't go into this with the thought that I had to have longer stays, but the lines of the design were sacrosanct, so that dictated the longer rear end. 

As far as changes go, I try not to do that with this bike. The most recent was to put on a longer stem and the Redshift Sports ShockStop stem got the call here. It has made the bike a lot nicer to ride on gravel, that's for sure! But other than that, I don't plan on changing much of anything on this bike. 

I do have a set of wheels that I need to rebuild. Those have Surly "Jim Brown" hubs and if I can get a nice set of rims, that may happen and those would be built for this bicycle. Stay tuned on that one....

No comments: