I will have some commentary after the images, so let's get on with the story......
Here's another example of the maintenance we came across. This depicts the more deep, loose gravel over the older, muddy road bed. We expect there to be a lot more of this type of road where there now is smooth, dried, dirt road.
As the miles went by we started to note less snow in the ditches, (yes.....there was a lot of snow in the ditches yet early on), and we started to see less rutting and less softness. The roads became drier and we started seeing dust off the truck's wheels. There was more maintenance noted, like the example above.
Here's what we think we'll see more of in two weeks- Fresh, deep gravel across the roadways. It may be packed in by farm traffic as well, since the farmers are just beginning to get into the fields now. Depending on rain events and their timing, we may be looking at dealing with lots of agricultural equipment come T.I.V9.
Okay, that's a wrap on recon. We found one minor discrepancy in road names, and one possible concern that may need to be addressed come race time, or maybe not. Otherwise we are good to go. Stay tuned for more announcements on the course soon.
The following items came up during recon and I thought they were things riders needed to be reminded of. Please Note The Following:
- There will be no water available on course that is provided by Trans Iowa! You must source your own supplies from convenience stores, bars, farmers, or homeowners.
- You must carry supplies to get you by for 100 miles at all times or be pig fodder!
- You Must Have A Plan To Get Yourself Off Course If You Do Not Finish.
- You must be in control of your bicycle at all times. Running 35+mph down a hill you've never been on at night is STUPID! You must accept any and all consequences for such behavior.
- Related to the above point: THERE ARE POTHOLES AND RIPPLES THAT WILL DUMP YOU IF YOU DO NOT EXERCISE CAUTION ON DOWNHILLS AT NIGHT!!
- Related to the above point: THERE ARE MANY, MANY HILLS THAT CAN CAUSE EXCESSIVE SPEEDS AT NIGHT ON THIS COURSE!!