|The "Fat Fargo" was the "perfect bike" on a couple of occasions|
The Bike: This is a Gen 2 version of the Salsa Cycles Fargo model which has been modified to be a 27.5+/B+ type drop bar hard tail bike. I built it up originally from a frame and fork. I'll detail some of the more interesting bits from the current build:
- Wheels: The hubs are '00 era Chris King ISO Disc hubs laced to Velocity USA Blunt 35 rims with Wheelsmith spokes and alloy nipples.
- Tires: WTB Trailblazer 2.8's tubeless
- Divetrain is a 3X9 using an '07 LX crank and SRAM 9spd 11-36T cassette
- Shifters are a mixed bag. Rear shifter is a Gevenalle 10 speed GX. (YES- ten speed), and the front shifter is a Shimano bar end.
- Seat Post: Salsa Cycles Regulator titanium 27.2 x 400mm
- Handlebars: Salsa Cycles Cowchipper 46cm.
Disadvantages maybe were more wheel weight, and a heavier over all bike, but honestly, the planted feel and stability the bike had in the higher speed down hills and technical stuff made up for it. Anyway, I don't foresee any major modifications to this set up and I expect to use it again at some events next season.