Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Not Vegas: Part 2

Nope! Not even close to Vegas!
I suppose I should feel weird about not being in Vegas this week. It was a major part of my life for almost a decade. Thing is, I am really relaxed about this decision. I don't feel like I am missing much of anything, besides the people, of course. That part I cannot replace here.

Like I said though, I don't think I am missing anything. After eight straight years of going to the show, you get pretty used to the grind. The dog and pony show hasn't really changed much, it's just gotten less and less relevant. The trip itself is wash, rinse, repeat. It's the same nonsense every time with little variation. It also was the least enjoyable portion of Interbike every year. So, is there anything I do miss, besides the people? Yes........actually there is. 

  • The Bicycles: You do get to ride some bicycles which is always a good time. Actually- it's the only good reason to go, besides the people. If Interbike could be five straight days of Outdoor Demo, I'd go every year just to ride. The heck with the indoor nonsense! 
  • Great Buns Bakery: Pro Tip: On the way to Outdoor Demo, go down Tropicana Boulevard and stop at Great Buns Bakery. You will not be disappointed. I don't think there is a single thing they make that I wouldn't eat and that isn't totally delish! Heck- go out of your way every morning from the Mandaly and get a bag full of goodness. The prices are insanely cheap as well. Trust me on this.....go there!
  • Free beer: Hey! I like a free beer just as much as the next guy or gal. 
  • Looky-looing: Whether it is people watching, (always stellar when in Vegas), or checking out the outlandish Strip, or seeing the oddest products in the aisles and corners of the show, just checking out stuff is kinda of fun, truth be told. It only goes so far though, and by day two and a half you are ready to get outta there! 
So, it isn't a total bummer to go to Interbike, but after a few of these shows you could almost close your eyes and predict what will happen next. After awhile- there really isn't anything new about it.  That said, if you've never been to it, you should go, if you can. Every bike geek should see it at least once, you know, like RAGBRAI. You may even get hooked. Most don't that I know. But you might.....

I cannot leave this post without mentioning one person in particular though. My partner Grannygear. It is the only time we get to see each other all year, even though we talk pretty regularly. Now that part I will miss.

No comments: