Saturday, November 28, 2009

Musing On Search Terms

Okay, today is the Turkey Burn out at The Camp. So while you sit there with your morning coffee, or check in whenever this weekend, I will be/or have been out riding. I suggest you do exactly the same thing before this goofy post wastes any more of your time. That's right.....shut down the idiot box. Go on now............

Okay, if you chose to read on- don't say I didn't warn you!

I get webstats and I have always wanted to do a post based upon the search terms folks use to get here. I thought it would be fun, but I am not going to say it will be very interesting!

The Usual: Of course various terms relating to the blog title or me are the top search terms: "g ted", "guitar ted productions", "g ted productions", guitar ted", and "guitar ted blog" are all commonly used ones. Sometimes that is the preface for the real reason they are looking for this web-spot. An example being " g ted drop bar". Which leads me to.......

Drop Bar Madness: I get more hits besides the "guitar ted" stuff from drop bar search terms. Examples are many, but suffice it to say that anything having to do with off road drop bar use searches finds its way over to this blog. Anything from sizing of clamp diameters to specific bars are searched for. Also, I get a fair amount of "alt bar" traffic since I do get into a lot of weird handle bar stuff here. A couple of interesting terms that pop up all the time are "mountain road drop bar" and " guitar ted dirt drop bar". Okay, the first is confusing, and leads me to believe that the folks searching for "mountain road" drop bar info are not exactly sure what the heck is going on either. The second leads me to believe that some folks think I make off road drop bars. Hmm......maybe I should!

Okay, so if you take those two things out of the stats the pickens get slimmer. Here's a few things that regularly pop up in the search terms that I think are pretty weird, funny, or beyond explanation.

Bottom Bracket: I did a post early on in my blogo-sphere ramblings that had to do with certain bicycle component standards. I merely mentioned the BMX "Spanish" bottom bracket size and Pinarello's MOST bottom bracket and now I get searches related to that hitting the blog everyday. Crazy!

Blackburn Quadrant Light: Another early blog entry- I did a review on the blog here on the Blackburn Quadrant LED light and everyday I get hits on that review. Funny thing is, they don't make that light anymore! I suppose the light is getting blown out cheaply by several distributors yet, but know this: The Quadrant wasn't all that great then, and it certainly has been eclipsed by far better technology at comparable prices. Don't bother with one if you find this post and are thinking about a Quadrant. Really!

Name Dropping: If I dropped your name into a blog post here, you can bet that someone is looking for you on the internet. How do I know this? Because your name appears in my stats from time to time. Latest searched name here? Gary Cale. He of the Trans Iowa post card fame. Strange but true!

Weirdest: Of course I get a fair amount of searches related to guitar stuff, what with my handle and all, but the weirdest search term on today's stats was this: "wtb sst gravel" Okay, on one hand you have a saddle name- "wtb sst". On the other hand you have "gravel", which gets a lot of mention here as a surface I ride on a lot. But those two terms together?

Yeah, ya got me!

Okay, again, I warned you to go ride yer bike and not read this. Now you'll never get that time back! But......it's never too late to ride!

No comments: