Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Bikes Of 2020: Black Mountain Cycles "Monstercross"

  It's THAT time of year again when I have my year-end reviews. This series will cover my bikes I used during 2020, any changes made, and why I still like each one- or don't! Thanks for reading!

Another staple of the fleet here which will celebrate its 10th year here at G-Ted Productions in 2021. The Black Mountain Cycles "Monstercross" model was purchased as a frame/fork and first assembled as a single speed in 2011.

 I never called it a "Monstercross" bike as I never really liked that term. To me this was going to be a gravel bike, much in the same vein as the Surly Cross Check had become the de-facto gravel bike of choice by 2010.  Going to any gravel event ten years ago meant that you'd be seeing a ton of Cross Checks. I did not choose a Cross Check due to one or two idiosyncrasies that bike has which the Monstercross model addressed for me. 

So, the bike became known here as the "Orange Crush" or "#49", as it was the 49th Black Mountain Cycles bike made, according to serial numbers. I eventually set it up with gears, a front rack, a bag, and fenders. Now it looks more like a rando bike than a gravel bike!

In 2019 I switched this bike back to single speed mode and I installed an ancient set of Sugino 180mm cranks. I love it in this mode, but for whatever reason, I had a left crank arm come loose and as of this writing I am not entirely sure I have that rectified. Worse case scenario, (likely scenario more like it) will be that I have to find another 180mm arm set to replace the current crank. I could go 175mm, but with the high bottom bracket that the first generation Monstercross bikes had, I like 180mm far better. The jury is still out on whether or not I need to replace this crank set, but if any changes are made, that would be the one I would make. 

Another plan I have is to get a real single speed quick release hub laced up for this bike and maybe a front dynamo hub for a light. I could see this being the ultimate bad weather, go anywhere bike for me if I can manage that. Stay tuned......

No comments: