Thursday, December 17, 2020

Bikes Of 2020: Noble Bikes GX5

The most recent configuration of the Noble Bikes GX5.
 It's THAT time of year again when I have my year-end reviews. This series will cover my bikes I used during 2020, any changes made, and why I still like each one- or don't! Thanks for reading!

This bike is one that I probably used the most during 2020. The Noble Bikes GX5 was a bike I reviewed for RidingGravel.com back last year and was left with me to be a test mule for wheels, tires, and other stuff I would be reviewing throughout 2020. So, you saw a LOT of this bike here on the blog over the past 12 months.

Since the bike was a review test mule it saw a lot of changes in components over the year. Seat posts, saddles, wheels, and tires were swapped back and forth, so I won't try to detail all of that here now. What did remain the same was the basic foundation- the frame and fork, of course, and the great Shimano GRX drive train and brakes. 

Let me just pause here and say that you die-hard SRAM road parts users are missing the boat. I've extensively used both groups and there is no comparison. Shimano shifting, drive train stability, and especially the brakes, are so much better than SRAM it is laughable. And when it comes to reliability and maintenance, there also is no comparison. Bicycle mechanics understand this intimately, but SRAM is a warranty/marketing company, Shimano is an R&D and reliability company. That's my take. Your mileage may vary.....

Anyway- back to the bike. This bike wouldn't be getting ridden as much if it weren't for what I voiced above concerning components, but certainly the geometry and ride quality of this bike is right up my alley as well. It is 'racy' without being a 'race bike', if that makes any sense. It is smooth, handles well, and does the light weight thing nicely. For Mid-West gravel travel I cannot think of much of anything I would change. 

I thought this bike had limited tire clearances, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that even Teravail 700c X 47 Cannonball tires fit, if only barely. That means my preferred size of 43mm-45mm would be okay in most cases on this bike. That said, if there ever were a "version 2" of this bike, a bit more generous tire clearance wouldn't be a bad thing. Secondly, I'd put bottle mounts on the fork, but only because I like that feature. Maybe others don't care. And other than that, I'm good with this bike. 

1 comment:

Blain said...

RE: Sram.

I have been very disappointed in the direction SRAM has taken with insistence on wireless and 1x. I've been riding Sram 10sp since the first Rival group came out and have really enjoyed how reliable and trouble free it's been. I change the cables every few years and it keeps on trucking. I also like the hood shape and shifter operation, and how it was interchangeable with the MTB derailleurs in the 10sp days. I'm currently running a 48-31 chainset and 11-28 cassette with OG Sram Rival (and rim brakes), and could expand the cassette with a GX derailleur if/when I feel the need. I'll be building a disc brake bike in the next year and am accumulating Shimano stuff for it because this gearing combo isn't readily available in mechanical shift/hydro brake from SRAM.