Saturday, December 19, 2020

The Six String Side: Reeves Electro 2 N 2 Face

Reeves Electro 2 N 2 Face pedal.
 When I started this blog over fifteen years ago, I stated that it was a "Bicycle and guitar oriented elixir....". Well, the "guitar" part sort of got pushed out by the bicycle stuff, but I've always been playing. Recently I purchased a very unusual effects pedal and thought I'd share......

I used to be a jeweler. You may not know this, but it was something I enjoyed and did for over 10 years. I didn't 'just' sell shiny objects either. I designed them, repaired them, graded them, and constructed the stuff from raw materials. I set stones and appraised stones. I have held diamonds worth more than your house and I have seen rare items which not many are aware of because I was a jeweler. So, I came to an awareness and have since appreciated fine beauty and a high level of craftsmanship. 

I say all the above not to brag, but to show you why I bought this particular effects pedal based off the classic 'Fuzz Face' design first made in the 60's and popularized by the likes of Jimi Hendrix and other famous guitarists too numerous to mention. Fuzz Face circuits are one of the most copied and produced circuits for guitar effects pedals. There is not anything special about that part of this. However; the execution of the design here is exceptional. 

You have to use quality components. Probably the most fussed over tidbits of this simple circuit are the transistors used to produce the 'fuzzy' effect guitarists are after. Then the accompanying resistors, capacitors, and potentiometers must compliment the circuit and not detract from the desired effect. It may come as a surprise, but 'high fidelity' isn't a concern. It's complicated.......

Anyway, then you have to assemble said components into an attractive package to get the guitarist interested in a fuzz circuit to 'bite on the bait' and you can then sell the effect. The most commonly used ruse is to come up with a clever name and an enclosure that catches the eye. Doing super-neat, highly detailed interior circuit design is usually not done, because, well......who cares what the inside looks like? 

I guess some folks do, because Reeves Electro has been slammed with orders since going all-in on pedal manufacturing in March of 2020 due to Mr. Reeves regular job being impacted by the pandemic and related shut-downs. As a for instance, my order went in when the wait list was up to 70 days. 

Not just a bundle of electronic components.

Markus Reeves is the sole employee of Reeves Electro and therefore has to do every process required to make his line of drive pedals. He drills the enclosures, acid etches the designs in, then he hand forms the leads of the components and arranges them into a design that not only works electronically, but is pleasing to the eye. He then packages and ships them off to waiting customers. To give you somewhat of an idea of how much effort goes into each pedal, here is a YouTube clip from Markus detailing just the acid-etching process he uses on the enclosures.

So, getting back to why I bought this pedal. It's really the insides that tipped the scales. As a former jeweler and designer, this spoke to me and I understand just how difficult it is to make something look this sleek and simple. 

Just try to solder small electronic bits this precisely and with such beauty. I dare you!

 The intricacy and level of thought and design that went into this effect pedal is above category. Add in the soldering quality and this pedal is over the top. And yes.......it sounds incredible to boot. What is absolutely insane in regard to all of this is that Reeves Electro sells this pedal for a base price of $235.00 (as of this writing). Custom options can take the price higher, and I added a custom color interior in Copper.   

This is an amazing device and I am stoked to add this to the effects pedal board I have.

2 comments:

MG said...

That’s an impressive piece. I can see why you’re so excited about it. Merry Christmas to you!!

Guitar Ted said...

@MG - Merry Christmas to you and your family! Thanks Brother!