Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Winter Views: First Snow That Stuck

Out of bounds fat biking in Waterloo
 It was bound to happen sooner or later. The 'white stuff' wasn't going to hold off for ever. In fact, usually it shows up around the first few days after Thanksgiving. So, we got another reprieve again this year, just not as exceptional as last year's. That was when we got a big dump, but it melted and then we were riding gravel until well into January of this year. 

I suppose this will melt at some point too, but it will be a while, and the bad thing is that this is a nuisance snow. Not enough to make snow sports happen but too much ice that doing gravel riding or regular mountain biking has been compromised somewhat. Of course, I just snuck in under the wire with 'The Quest'. Right up to the last second! Glad I made that happen before this crappy snow came along.

Had I needed to, I could likely have finished what little there was to the questing on my Ti Muk 2, but I'm glad that wasn't necessary. Instead, I took the fat bike out for a bit of a ramble around the neighborhood here on Sunday. As I said, there wasn't enough snow accumulation to amount to much here. Still, a fat bike makes traversing two inches or so of the white stuff easier than it would be without a fat bike. So, there was that. It just wasn't very challenging. 

But a bike ride is a bike ride and I'll take it. Besides, it is a change of scenery, at least for a little while, and I am good with that as well. As I said, this snow won't hold on for long without reinforcements, and it sure doesn't look like we are in for any more snow just yet. Any amount of Sun is going to knock this stuff back in a hurry since the ground is almost showing through already. 

So, not much to see here, but it isn't brown all over at least!

No comments: