Monday, December 21, 2020

Cold Days-Slow Days

I got some new Challenge Tires treads to review.
 It's late December and as usual, things are slow and low around the G-Ted Headquarters. Not much going on, that's for sure! This has been a really tough time of the year for me for a long time. Maybe a few of you out there have a hard time dealing with this particular season of the year? If so, I maybe can empathize with you there.

The Holiday Season is something many people really gear up for and go all-out with social gatherings, decorations, traditions, and the obvious religious ceremonies and whatnot. Well, not me. I'm really glad just to get through this time of year without anything dragging me down. Fortunately, I've been pretty blessed that way over the last several years. Anyway.... nuff said about that!

 So, what else? The weather is rough, not really great for gravel travel, so I've been sticking around closer to home of late doing some testing and looking for those days that pop up above freezing without a ton of wind to get out and do something in the country. As long as the roads are clear, I'll do that. However; that hasn't been possible until this past weekend and maybe today. 

This usually means that I start in maintenance and modifying of the bike fleet for the next season. Review work generally slows way down for me at this time of year, although I did get in a set of Challenge Tires recently. Their newest model, the Getaway, is typical of the brand with their handmade construction, but these are true tubeless tires. I've got these on my Noble GX5 here and I hope to be able to get out and do some gravel riding soon. 

But outside of that rare occasion for this time of year, and maybe some rambles in the woods on my fat bikes, I will be hunkered down in the Lab doing projects during the darkened and frozen times we have to look forward to. It doesn't look like we'll be getting enough snow to have decent fat biking for a while yet, so unless we go the other way and have some unusual warmth, these in between times will be hard to get motivated for. I like it to be one way or the other- Really snowy or really warm (for this time of year) This in between stuff is for the birds.

3 comments:

DT said...

I'm using this time to take advantage of the "slow season" to get some work done at the LBS. Similar to Iowa, around here things start to ramp up around mid-late March (depending on the weather and Daylight Savings Time). Because of COVID that was delayed until mid-April, then things got SLAMMED until probably mid-November. That slowdown was a bit later than normal; again due to the nicer weather this year and bike/parts shortages pushing out repair and upgrade work. So now that they finally have some free time, I'm gonna be going in more often. I've always liked going in off-peak; everyone is more pleasant since there's not a line of customers, and you can go over a lot more details that you normally wouldn't be able to discuss.

john said...

Are you able to work through the winter with your new job? hope so

Guitar Ted said...

@ john - When business allows for it, yes. Thanks for your concern.