Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Bikes Of 2020: The Ti Muk 2

 

It's THAT time of year again when I have my year-end reviews. This series will cover my bikes I used during 2020, any changes made, and why I still like each one- or don't! Thanks for reading!

The Ti Muk 2 has been my newest addition to the fat bike fleet and has been the fat bike I have used more often than the others. Of course, the story behind my even having the privilege of riding it cannot be denied. This is another instance where a group of people banded together under the influence of my brother, MG, and put together a sum of money that nearly attained to the asking price of the bike. I covered the minimal shortfall, and thus this bike is mine. (To all you that helped, once again, Thank You!)

This bike was used a lot for commuting duties earlier in the year, but I also have used it in the Green Belt and on the rare gravel ride I do on a fat bike. The Rohloff 14 speed internally geared hub is awesome. the external drive train is basically single speed, so pretty much maintenance free. The Rohloff does require a yearly oil change, (which I recently just did), and that is all you really have to do to keep these hubs going. Using a Rohloff is an education in a different style of shifting, (you have to either momentarily stop pedaling or get the hang of how much you can let off the pedal pressure), but otherwise I find the range I have there perfectly fine for this application. 

The frame is titanium, of course, and with the Ti Regulator seat post, the ride is really pretty smooth. The Jones Carbon Loop Bar does a similar trick up front. That makes this bike a lot of fun to ride for longer periods of time. The final bit I have really been blown away by with this bike is the Whiskey Carbon fat bike rims. Tubeless Cake Eaters on these rims are so good. The wheels roll like nothing else I have ridden in the fat bike category. Oh! And it has a Schmidt SON generator, let's not forget that, so I have always-on lights front and back whenever I ride this. Safety First!

So, after a slew of minor mods I made with this bike, I have it pretty much where I want it. I do not foresee any more mods and this bike will see a lot of use through the Winter.

No comments: