Wednesday, December 09, 2020

A Good Word

Sunset as I rounded the last corner on the way home from work Tuesday.
 Somebody said something nice about me Tuesday.

So?

Well, actually, it was a rather big deal, if you want to know. Typically, I don't veer off the road of cycling very far here, but this story has its roots in cycling, so, I think it fits. Besides, we all could use a good word about right now, don't you think? 

This happened during the podcast we recorded for Riding Gravel, (you'll get to hear it soon, it is going to be a good one) and our guest was the one who passed along some thoughts about me which 'made my day', so to speak. But you know how it goes sometimes, a word- good or bad- can stick on you, you know? The power of the spoken word is a truly awesome thing. 

I'm sure many of us can think of times when we weren't doing all that great on some bicycle ride or another. Maybe it was a race, or maybe it was on a group ride. Doesn't matter, really. The point is, someone said that one thing- so odd when you stop to think about it- and you were lifted up. You had a change of spirit, and maybe it was that encouragement that got you through that dark place and you finished the ride well. I know I've experienced that. Those words though......why does that work? I mean, they were just some words. right? 

Look, I'm no smarty. I do not have the answer to this, I just know it works. I know there is power in words.  I was taken down by words as a youth by my Dad. Taken down so low I wanted to just die. Of course, that didn't happen, obviously, but you know, these spoken words of yours and mine- they can be terribly powerful. I also know the flip side. Like what happened to me Tuesday. The person saying the words has no idea that what he said lifted me so high that I felt really good. (But maybe if he reads this he will know- you know who you are) But the point I wanted to make is this- Be very careful with your words. 

And don't be shy about sharing a good word with somebody today. Really. It could be anything. That's just it. We who are speaking the words may never know what effect they have on the listener. Just know that they do have an effect. 

No comments: