Wednesday, January 26, 2022

We Are Not Immune To Traffic On Gravel

An attempt to intimidate a group of cyclists gone wrong. (Image courtesy of Twitter)
One of the main benefits, in my opinion, to riding rural unpaved roads is that I can escape much of the mayhem caused by the operators of motor vehicles. Distractedness, anger issues, people playing around with you, and whatnot. But.....that doesn't mean you are 100% free from any of this nonsense. 

This was illustrated recently over this past weekend by a social media post that went (sort of) viral. You may have seen this. From what I can gather, it was posted by a former Trans Iowa participant, bike shop manager, and Arkansas resident. The story goes that someone driving the red pick-up truck tried to make an intimidating pass on a group of cyclists on the dirt road pictured here.  The pass caused the driver to lose control and roll the truck over onto its passenger side, trapping an occupant within. 

Apparently there were no severe injuries.

While the overall tone of responses was ,"Good! They got their just comeuppance!", I think this points to a wider issue within the gravel cycling community. That being, "You have to be aware of your surroundings and whatever traffic you might encounter deserves your full attention.

I say this because many think that going out on rural roads is an "escape"- which often is translated unconsciously to something like, "I don't have to worry about  or pay attention to traffic anymore!", which, as many of us know, is the furthest thing from the truth that could be. 

Most gravel events are held on 'open roads'. (Image by Jon Duke)

It is easy to get sucked into a mindset that you have it all unto yourself when you get way out there, but these are- for the most part- 'open roads'. That means they are meant primarily for trucks, cars, tractors, and agricultural equipment. Maybe you live where logging trucks are commonplace. Or maybe you live in an area with a lot of ranchers that use ATV's. But the point is- you can and will run into situations with vehicular traffic and you must remain vigilant and attentive to this possibility. 

There is no real "written code" for rural traffic-cyclist encounters, but I think the first thing to take into consideration is what many of us call the "Ride Right" rule. That is- "When cresting hills or climbs- STAY ON THE RIGHT HALF OF THE ROAD!" That's probably a rule that is going to save your- or someone else's - life someday. And I've seen it work. 

I used to put on a ride for beginners called the "Geezer Ride" on gravel. On the very first one I directed, we were out on some big rollers near the Amana Colonies. As a small group of us were climbing this 10+% climb, a Dodge Ram came blasting over the crest of the hill doing about 70-80mph. The truck appeared so quickly that we didn't even have any warning by way of sound or a dust plume. It was just suddenly "there". Thank God everyone was on the right side of the climb or we would have certainly had a death, or two. 

And it is also imperative to note that this applies to almost every gravel event I am aware of. Open roads mean that YOU MUST DEFER TO TRAFFIC. What's a more desirable outcome here? That your placing, (and whatever prizing or money might be at stake) is affected by your having to defer to a train, car, or farm tractor, or that you have suffered loss to an injury, or have died trying to hold your place? I'd say walking away with your life and body intact versus any prestige and satisfaction you get from a higher placing is a better outcome. I dunno..... Maybe I'm the crazy one here? 

Sure, it sucked when I had to wait fifteen minutes for a freight train to pass when I was in the DK200 years ago, but I accepted that part of the deal with riding on gravel was that these things might happen. And some Pros will say, "But we're trying to make a 'career' out of this! We shouldn't be affected by traffic!". Well, tell me this- Did you not know that the event was being held on open roads? When you signed up, were you duped into thinking that this traffic thing might never happen? Really? If that affects your 'career', go ride somewhere in an event that doesn't have that possibility, or hey! Put on an event that suits your proclivities yourself! That's kinda what we did in the gravel scene. 

Today's ag equipment is so big you may have to abandon the road!

And of course, the same things are true for casual group rides or solo gravel rides. In fact, troubles can arise even more easily when your mind wanders to conversation or you get way into your thoughts out there. I know. I'm just as guilty as anyone in that way. 

I often have been shocked back into 'the real world' by the sound of crunching gravel, or the plume of dust seen off in the distance. Thankfully I've not been suddenly overtaken when in such deep thoughts, but I have to try to remain vigilant despite my good fortunes. 

Then back to the first image there where the riders were encountering individuals driving that truck who were using the vehicle as a threatening weapon. Yeah.....we're not immune to that sort of thing either. It's a lot less likely- sure- but it isn't impossible. So, do what you have to do to be prepared for those situations. I'd recommend riding with another person more than not, despite the fact that I ride solo more times than not. But- I have the privilege of being a big guy. I'm not someone many rural folks around here would see as being 'out of place', and that is to my advantage as well. Were I an African American would I have to be 'more careful'? Sadly, I think the answer to that is "yes". If I were a solo female would I have to be more careful? Again, I think the answer is "yes". Should those situations change? Yes. But that isn't going to happen today, and not likely real soon either, so.......

So, while the world "out there" on gravel may seem appealing for its promises of "escape" from much of societies ills, you aren't going to get 100% immunity from it all. Be prepared, be aware, and be reasonable. The realities of rural riding are that we- as gravel riders- have to be aware that we aren't going to always be free and clear to enjoy the ride as we might wish to 100% of the time. But I'll take the odds for riding on gravel against riding on a paved county blacktop for safety and fun every time.

Be careful out there!

3 comments:

Tomcat said...

Thank you for pointing this out, GT. A few years ago, I fell into a ditch and busted my nose on a culvert. The reason why it happened was because I was getting tired (~70 miles into a ride) and becoming increasingly less vigilant of my surroundings. I feel like the risk increases as the ride length increases. We naturally avert our attention to our body and what's ailing us as opposed to looking up, riding right and all of those extremely important aspects of respecting the roads and those that use them.

Something I'm appreciative is my girlfriend says "be safe Tommy!" whenever I depart for a ride. That's done a good job for me to ensure I preserve safety as the recurring theme of each and every ride. I've also been tempted to add a sticker or something to my top tube that says "look up!" :D

pwbalkan said...

We hardly have any problems here in Europe with four-wheel drive vehicles and agricultural vehicles where I ride. People give each other space and raise their hands in greeting. On busy roads, you have to be especially careful of distracted motorists. Aggression against cyclists exists practically only in the big cities, but also not in every country. In the countryside, I never had any problem in all those years.

Guitar Ted said...

@pwbalkan - It is like that which you described here most of the time as well- I'd say about 99.9% of the time. It's that .1% that could cause problems and why it is easy to get complacent in terms of safety as a rider.

I am happy for you though if that is your situation for riding! Thanks for the comments.