Saturday, September 11, 2021

In The Market

My GPS computer met an untimely end at Gravel Worlds this year.
 Okay, so I am looking for a GPS computer. As you can see here from today's image, my former GPS computer met an untimely end when it was crushed under the wheels of a Ford F-150. 

Truck - 1 GPS Computer - 0

And I guess I should have one of these things. Mrs. Guitar Ted likes to keep track of me and many GPS units will allow for that. Also, many routes and events are on GPS, so it might behoove me to make that resource available to me now days. But with that said, I am going to float a few ideas I have and outline what I expect to use from a GPS computer. I'm not looking for a lot, mind you, but if something comes with extras, well I am not going to dismiss a choice out of hand for features I'll never use. But there will be a LOT of features I'll never use, and I know that going in. 

  • I need to have a GPS that does turn-by-turn navigation so I can use event routes and routes without availability of cue cards for riders, (although that is something I'll always use).
  • All the basic computer functions, but any unit that allows me to customize a screen so all I see is speed, mileage and time is a bonus. 
  • Rider tracking (For Mrs. Guitar Ted- not that I want that.
  • Ability to upload routes to my computer.
  • Long battery life.

That's all I need. I do not care about anything else. Workouts, ride data, charts, coaching, connectivity to devices, connectivity to other riders, running your lights, or whatever. I don't care about that stuff, and I know I will never use that stuff, because I never did with my old GPS computer. I never look at data. I never look at old rides/routes that I have saved. (Although I may use that as a reference some day) I don't care about that stuff. But like I said, if the unit advised to me has that.....excuse me....'garbage'- I won't discount it as a choice. 

Now- Andy's Bike Shop just became a Garmin dealer. Do I go with a Garmin or stick with Lezyne, or do I go rogue with something like a Wahoo or other brand? I'm inclined to stick with Lezyne since I am invested in their mounts for bikes and I have an account for their GPS support. Whatever I end up doing, I am in no big rush to get one, so I have time to consider choices. 

Got any advice? I'm all ears.......

17 comments:

Jeb said...

Why not just download the RideWithGPS app to your smart phone and be done with it? No need to buy anything.

Phillip Cowan said...

Well I have a sample size of one but I've been using the Wahoo Element Roam and I believe it will do everything you want and more. Battery life has been very good. I also bought the HR monitor strap that goes with it but have yet to use it. My ridin' buddy has the Garmin watch which he claims to like very well. Between the two of us we don't get lost anyway.

Guitar Ted said...

@Jeb - Smart phones are HUGE and take up a lot of space on the bike which includes a mount for them. Besides, the dust generated on rides, getting caught in rain, and the sweat dropping on a smart phone is not conducive to making that sort of device - which wasn't designed to do a cycling computer's job, by the way - a safe, longer lasting device.

AND I see enough of that damned thing as it is. Having it staring at me while I ride is a reminder of things I'm out there trying to leave behind. YMMV.

Guitar Ted said...

@Phillip Cowan - Ironically, MG- who may chime in here - used both a Wahoo and a Garmin on his recent Long Voyage 300 miler at Gravel Worlds. I know that he is not 100% enamored of either product, so we will see....

Checked out a couple of Garmin units already on the web with Andy at the shop. I'm still not convinced on their stuff yet.

Admin said...

Hi GT, today my GPS unit ended its life after almost 10 years of good work, it was a Garmin Edge 500, which was exactly what i needed. One important part for me is the heart rate sensor, to monitor what my heart does while riding. I’m considering the Garmin 130 plus, which i hope will still work with my hr sensor. In any case seeing that your GPS is broken too was a little relief as i now are in good company without my device.

NY Roll said...

IN the end Wahoo vs Garmin is not a big deal. I would go with the Garmin through the shop and I assume you would save cash that way. I have owned both. I have had Wahoo for the last six years and have had to warranty each one I get for various reasons. I never had that with the Garmin. With that said, Wahoo is easier to pair and use devices with. Garmin was/is more finicky. I had wahoo freeze and drop rides on me. Garmin is known for that as well, but I never experienced it. Tomato vs Tomatoe.

Doug Johnston said...

I am a long time Garmin user. Most recently I used an Edge 1030. It worked well, but after many years of daily use, the battery life was getting shorter and shorter. It’s also very expensive. This year I changed to the Hammerhead Karoo 2. Fabulous! It has the best screen you ever seen (Garmin and Wahoo look antiquated in comparison). It has all the basics: routes, customized screens, 3rd party integrations to screen for lights, radar, shifters, HR, power meters, phone messages and much more.

Guitar Ted said...

@Doug Johnston - Thank you for pointing that choice out. It looks pretty interesting.

Scott Cotton said...

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt will do everything you want. The ride tracking is automatic and sends my wife an email every time I start a ride. Does turn by turn and all of the data screens are customizable.

However, when mine finally dies, I'll probably look hard at the Hammerhead.

baric said...

Just was checking out the Hammerhead Karoo 2. Sounds like a really great piece of kit as users say and they really sound extremely reliable and said users seem to really like them a lot! However they recently added a new climbing app. for those interested in that feature for all Hammerhead Karoo 1 & 2's. So before buying, if interested in the climbing feature, one should go to this web site; www.dcrainmaker/2021/06/hammerhead-karros-new-climber-feature-heres-how-it-works and read up on every thing they have to say on this site about the Karoo 2. Otherwise it sounds like a great piece of electronics and worth the purchase, yes really.

baric said...

Oops, www.dcrainmaker/2021/06/hammerhead-karros-new-climber-heres-how-it-works.html forgot the last part.

KC said...

I bounced from Garmin to wahoo and back over the last 5 years. Both have their quirks, but I'm really happy with Garmin right now. I'm using a 530, decent screen and CRAZY good battery life. Like, over 50% with sensors connected & nav running. Ridewithgps app on the device means I can download routes from there without messing with a computer.
My kids share a 130 plus & while the battery life isn't days-long it's still great. The screen is also clearer in all conditions & I kind of prefer that smaller size.

Nooge said...

For location sharing, I have found that the Wahoo app/devices can be a bit buggy. So I use a free app called Glympse. You just pick a how long to share your location (maximum of several hours), text the link to your wife, then take your phone with you on your ride. The phone can be locked and tucked away and (as long as it gets GPS and cell signals) your wife can check your real time location by just taking the link. No account needed.

That doesn’t solve the mapping, speed or distance needs, but the majority of the time you are doing without those. Glympse (or a similar app) can let the wife track you when you don’t feel like using the computer or you forgot to charge it.

S.Fuller said...

Garmin has relatively good out of warranty replacement. I used it when my Garmin 800 was crushed by a car. Have you checked to see if Lezyne does the same thing?

Guitar Ted said...

@S. Fuller - I have not checked on that, and honestly, due to Lezyne's lack of certain features, I am not probably going to go with them anyway. The only thing that would be advantageous to getting a replacement at reduced cost would be that I am comfortable with their platform and there would be minimal change.

I think it is time for a change.

DT said...

Normally I would recommend the Garmin 1030+ due to the extremely long battery life and other options, but you sound like you'd rather go simpler. So I would suggest the 530. This unit has a color screen but not a touch screen, has most of the functionality that the 1030+ does, and battery life can be extended with the integrated external battery pack. I think that would be the best setup for what you're looking for.

Guitar Ted said...

@DT - Thank you for that suggestion. I checked it out and it looks pretty good for me.